Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Why do I like the rules so much?

Why do so many people find Churchian rules so attractive? The Bible tells us things like:

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.1

Wait, what? Why did Jesus set us free? So that we would be free? Yes. He didn't have ulterior motives. He didn't set us free so that we could build our own prison. He set us free because He wanted us to be free.

You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.2

But that's just what we do. We church people just don't know what to do with the freedom that Jesus gave us. It's uncomfortable, maybe. All that freedom is a little scary. So we create our own rules. Why? Maybe because

It gives us a comforting sense of superiority.

Ouch. This one could be just me, but in my life as a Churchian I admit that I have often felt like I was better than other people because I adhered to certain man-made rules. I still find it hard to believe that I don't have to DO anything to convince Jesus to accept me. I mean, I know He said that He's got this, but I feel like I should help Him out a little. Otherwise, He might change His mind. Being a good Churchian made me feel just enough better than people in “the world” that I could reassure myself that I really was good enough for Jesus. And yes, that sounds as crazy to me as it does to you.

And you know what else?

Following rules is easier.

In setting us free from our natures, ourselves, and the Old Testament laws, Jesus gave us a lot of freedom. And with that freedom, He gave us a lot of responsibility. I don't know about you, but for me, following clearly-defined rules is a lot easier than figuring out what God is asking of me, myself, today. Seeking God's actual will for me is kind of hard. In comparison, being a Churchian—with its clear boundaries and people who'll be happy to tell me what to do—is just easier. But if I'm going to be an authentic Christian, I have to be willing to get to know Jesus for myself and find out what He wants from me. Even though throwing out the Rules of Churchianity and relying only on God feels a little like jumping off a cliff.


1. Galatians 5:1 (NASB)
2. 1 Corinthians 7: 23 (NASB)

1 comment: